Newbie Attending AT9

Discuss our event(s) ;)

Moderators: Moderators, Admin

Newbie Attending AT9

Postby Tams » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi there!

This will be my first time at an AT event and I'm just hoping to get to know some of you prior to the meet in a good few months.

I'll be attending alone so naturally I don't want to spend the entire weekend on me lonesome :(

Anyhow, I'm Tamsin, 28 (nearly 29) and I live in Suffolk. Huge fan of Amanda, like I expect you all are.
Tams

Re: Newbie Attending AT9

Postby moody-weasel » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:29 am

Hi Tams and welcome to the forum. :)

I really don't think anyone has ever spend the entire weekend alone at a Gabit event.
If you can try to make it to the newbie meeting on Friday (usually early afternoon). It's a great way to meet people and not just other newbies either. The meeting is usually attended by staff and stewards and other regulars as well.

If you have questions feel free to ask. I've put together some tips for people who haven't attended the event. You'll find them here:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1554

Cheers,

Nicky.
moody-weasel

Postby Tams » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:45 pm

I'll be there Friday. Sadly for me, not any of my friends except two are fans and they can't afford to go :( just hope people will talk to me!
Tams

Postby moody-weasel » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:14 pm

I know it kind of sucks to go to an event alone but as soon as you get there on Friday you are bound to meet people.
The lobby is usually full of peeps who are as crazy about AT as you are. :D
moody-weasel

Postby Ylva-li » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Hello
I just registered in the forum.

It will be my first AT event and first convention ever and I am so nervous (and a little scared too).
I don't get in contact with people that easy and I'am also afraid of being a little bit lonely that weekend because everybody seems to know
eachother ?
so maybe Tams we are trying to meet ?
My flight comes in very early on friday.

It is also my first post in a forum ever... I don´t have twitter or facebook :oops:
hope I get everything right.

greetings from Germany
Nathalie
Ylva-li

Postby moody-weasel » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:46 am

Ylva-li wrote:It will be my first AT event and first convention ever and I am so nervous (and a little scared too).
I don't get in contact with people that easy and I'am also afraid of being a little bit lonely that weekend because everybody seems to know
eachother ?
so maybe Tams we are trying to meet ?
My flight comes in very early on friday.

Hi Nathalie and welcome to the forum. :)

As mentioned before, you may want to check out the newbie meeting on Friday. We don't have a place and time for that yet but will post it here as soon as we do, which means whenever Julia releases the schedule for the event which will be some time in October.

From past events I would say that while there are always people who have been to previous events, up to a third of the attendees are usually newbies. So you will definitely not be the only one. :D

It's all good, don't be nervous. I am sure you will have lots of fun and meet new friends.
moody-weasel

Postby Ylva-li » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi
thank's for the welcome ;)

I booked a very early flight on friday so that I can't miss the newbie meeting!!

But I hope maybe you can answer a few questions in advance? So that I am less nervous at least about a few things ..

I heard that I can buy lot's of pictures from Amanda at the event, so I don't have to bring one for the autograph?
If I auction an item do I have to pay it in cash?
Is there any chance to say a few words to Amanda during the event maybe at the autograph session? Unfortunately I don't have a ticket for the cocktail party...
but I guess with so many people there won't be time to do talking ? Right?

I'm looking forward to meeting you all soon
Nathalie
Ylva-li

Postby moody-weasel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi Nathalie,

There will be a dealer's room and they usually have about 5-6 different photos available for purchase.

Payment for auction items can be done with cash or possibly credit card. The last two events payment by credit card was done via Paypal IIRC.

Yes, you will definitely get to talk to Amanda during the autograph session. :D
You won't have the time to tell her your life's story starting with how your grandparents met but you will definitely get to exchange a few words with her.
The autograph session is set up in a way that while there are other fans waiting in the room with you, everyone goes to the table alone. So it will just be you and Amanda at the table (plus Julia - G4 member - who sits with Amanda).
If you think you have something that takes longer to talk about you may want to consider writing a letter which you can give to Amanda during the autograph session so she can read it later.

If you get to the hotel early, you may not be able to get a room immediately but they will let you check in and you can leave your luggage with the concierge.

If you have any more questions let me know. :)
moody-weasel

Postby Ylva-li » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi
yes I still have a lot of questions :oops:
and getting more nervous the closer the event comes...

Do I need to ask the hotel again if everthing is alright with my reservation when the event comes closer ? Or does the email I got from them is enough ? (I don't travel a lot)
When and where will all the people get lunch ? Will there be time or did I have to bring something to eat ???
The days seem to be pretty packed?
Is it okay if I go to the masquerade ball in normal clothing ? I do not have a costume or anything?

I hope I will survive the photo session.. without being to nervous, it willl be the first time I meet Amanda ? Right? (and I always get a bit teary when I am to nervous)
Do you think I should bring the photobook from Amanda Tapping to the signing? I bought it online a few weeks ago and it's so beautiful.
(I have no friends who are fans so I have no one to talk to about the event and everthing)

I really hope that there will be people there on friday ? I don`t know where and how to spent that whole day?
So that's it for the moment ;) and I really appreciate your help and answers.

Hope I will meet you soon
Thanks a lot
Ylva-li

Postby moody-weasel » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:04 pm

Regarding your hotel reservation: if you have an email with a reservation confirmation number then there is no need to call the hotel .

Lunch: there is usually a break during lunch time where the main hall and the dealer’s room are closed.
The Renaissance has a restaurant, you can also order food at the bar. There is a Starbucks in the hotel as well.
Then there is a McDonalds more or less across the street and that is where most people go.
If you go a short walk in the other direction and turn into Nene Road at the gas station, there is a small supermarket with a take out counter.
You could also walk to the 3 Magpies but the lunch break is usually not that long and I am not sure how long you might have to wait for the food or how packed it is around lunch time.

I have more suggestions here but the above are the ones that are in the hotel or close by:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1554

Masquerade ball: I’m pretty sure you can show up in jeans and t-shirt (I always do). :newbanana:

Photo session: I’ve seen people practically shaking with nervousness when waiting for their turn in the queue and then float out of the room after having their photo taken.
We sometimes had to chase after people because they forgot their bag. :mrgreen:

I love the photo book. You can have it signed or bring it just in case you don’t like the photos that are on sale.

Friday: I have covered this in my tips for newbies as well. Copy & paste:
„When you get to the Renaissance on the Friday there is a good chance that 99 % of the people in the lobby will be Gabiteers . The obvious exception are the flight crew members.
Every one else – especially the groups huddled together - is a Gabiteer. Don’t be shy, introduce yourself. If you are too shy, come to the newbies meeting. 
It may seem like everyone else knows someone but there are always lots of people who haven’t been to a Gabit event. You are not alone.
If you have any questions, ask one of the stewards in blue t-shirts. „

I usually get to the Ren before 10 am on Friday and by then the lobby is packed with Gabiteers.

If you don’t know what to do on Friday, just remember that registration will open at some point. You can grab your registration package and check out the dealer’s room and the S4K booth. :D
There will also be the newbies meeting.

There are usually people who will go into London on the Friday you could always join one of the groups for some sightseeing or shopping.

One of the things I do on Friday is buy bottles of water and some snacks at the supermarket on Nene Road. The supermarket and the gas station both sell prepacked sandwiches which may be a better option than McD.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Cheers,

Nicky.
moody-weasel

Postby llperkiss » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:42 pm

The first event I went to was AT3 and I knew no one. I met a lot of people that weekend and many have remained friends all these years later. People that attend an AT even are nice, friendly and almost always very helpful. You will have a blast.
llperkiss

Postby Ylva-li » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi

then I don't have to be afraid that I don't know what to do on friday ...
I can spend a lot of money in the dealer's room :D

I hope I find everything. Read the infos about the bus from the airport several times and I am going to print them out
I'm the kind of girl who gets lost in her own hometown :oops: and I get panic attacs when
I go to new places where I've never been before...(you have no idea what kind of huge task to cope this event is for me)

And I guess most people are talking on twitter and facebook about the event (which I don't have).

So it really helps that your answers are all so kind and helpful.
Got my e ticket and trying to convince my computer to print it out-printer don't like to work maybe because it's sunday.

Do I need to do something else ?

See you soon
Ylva-li

Postby moody-weasel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:03 pm

Ylva-li wrote:Hi

then I don't have to be afraid that I don't know what to do on friday ...
I can spend a lot of money in the dealer's room :D

I hope I find everything. Read the infos about the bus from the airport several times and I am going to print them out
I'm the kind of girl who gets lost in her own hometown :oops: and I get panic attacs when
I go to new places where I've never been before...(you have no idea what kind of huge task to cope this event is for me)

And I guess most people are talking on twitter and facebook about the event (which I don't have).

So it really helps that your answers are all so kind and helpful.
Got my e ticket and trying to convince my computer to print it out-printer don't like to work maybe because it's sunday.

Do I need to do something else ?

See you soon

About the bus, if you've read my tips for newbies (in particular the update), then you should definitely find it.
If you can find the tube station for Terminal 1-3 then you are really close to the busses.
I am not kidding, if you are in the area where the ticket machines for the tube are, make a 180 ° turn and you will look at a flight of stairs. Go up those stairs and there will be a waiting area (with rows of seats, some shops and a ticket office), walk through that area and outside. You will see lots of beautiful red busses. Turn left and look for the signs for the right busses. :)
The last few events they have always been at the far end.

If you have trouble finding anything, just ask a Heathrow or tube employee. :)

I'd like to say "don't panic" but I am not sure that it would be helpful.

Don't forget to bring a charger/cable for your phone and your camera. :D
Money or debit card, ID, uh, the usual.

If you have one of the newer passports with the little sign at the bottom then by all means, use the passport queue for that because it will save you lots of time!

Twitter is more complicated but I've been fooling around with some pics from AT8:

https://twitter.com/NickyBman/media

If you want to read what people are talking about on FB, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/113006253973/

Let me know if you have any questions at all, you can also DM me if you like. :)
moody-weasel

Postby Ylva-li » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi
do you mean PM ? how does that work?
I would like to because I think I saw somewhere that you are from germany??
Than I could ask in german

what is meant by passport queue now I am panicking ?
Ylva-li

Postby moody-weasel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:53 pm

PM sent. :)
moody-weasel

Postby Tams » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Nathalie,

That'd be lovely! What time are you arriving on Friday?
Tams

Return to GABIT Chat