Welcome!

Moderators: liesl_99801, Jenn_S, Moderators, Admin

Welcome!

Postby Jenn_S » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Welcome to the new AT6 Amanda's Fans Alone - but not for long....

If you are coming by yourself, never been to a convention before, are a little scared or just want somewhere to come be a little over exited this is your place!!

Every member of this board is here to be welcoming and to answer any questions anyone may have! We are a friendly bunch!

Like I have said before there are NO stupid questions. We are here for you!

Hopefully this will bring us all closer together as we get nearer to AT6 and help you guys out with stuff that needs sorted!

The G4, Staff, Senior Stewards, Stewards and long standing attendees are all about here somewhere and I am sure will join me in welcoming you ALL to the adventure that will be AT6!

Liesl and myself will be about to answer any questions you might have and I will be helping Attendeed Liason, Liesl out when we do the AFNA meeting at AT6! I am sure if we aren't about someone will step in and answer for us :D

The warmest of welcomes to you and have FUN!

I look forward to chatting with you all!

J.x.

There are hundreds of languages in the world but a smile can speak them all!!
Jenn_S
GABIT Staff

Postby Elainec » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm scared... :|
You only live once, but if you do it right, you only need to live once.
Elainec

Postby Keely » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Welcome (new) people of the interwebs :D

I can personally vouch for the fact that no questions are stupid - it's evidenced by the number of ridiculous things I have asked which have been answered with sincere and serious answers :lol:

From the looks of things around here lately there are lots of people hoping that AT6 will be their first event - which is good.

There's just one bad thing - if this is your first event, you are likely to be disappointed with any other event you choose to go to later.
(Am I allowed to say that? Is it politically correct?)

Oops :badgrin:

You'll meet nice people there, you won't get enough sleep, and it's likely you'll lose your voice from talking or laughing too much, and forget to eat anything that doesn't have a really high sugar/ caffeine content.

But apart from that, you'll have fun, and when you leave you'll wonder why you didn't take the plunge sooner.

Anyone who wants to pick brains go ahead, because like the Scottish person said, there are lots of repeat offenders *cough* repeat attendees around here that'll gladly try and help in the absence of TPTB
Keely

Postby Jenn_S » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Yeah....

Keely came to see what one event was like and was assimilated into the collective!

PLEASE come introduce yourself here we promise we are nice :)

*HUGE hugs*

Jx

There are hundreds of languages in the world but a smile can speak them all!!
Jenn_S
GABIT Staff

Postby liesl_99801 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 am

Welcome everyone!!!

I look foward to meeting all newbies as well as chatching up with everyone from past events.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Roll on AT6!!!
liesl_99801
GABIT Staff

Postby Fud » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi *waves*
Fud

Postby telkesh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I am a little disappointed that I went to at5 last year as now I can't claim to be new to the whole thing (to explain away my nerves).
I am going to be going to at6 alone so I hope to meet some new people here before I get going. I am one of the rare few males that attend, so I already feel out of place :)
telkesh

Postby Trindajae » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:36 am

Keely wrote:There's just one bad thing - if this is your first event, you are likely to be disappointed with any other event you choose to go to later.

You forgot the occasional minor bruising from bouncing off the walls due to nearly toxic levels of excitement mixed with said sugar and caffeine. :D

Also? I think I startled my mom a bit at the first one. She'd never seen me that excited, sociable and outgoing in a crowd of strangers (I got teased with the phrase "aggressively friendly" once), and she'd spent most of my introverted childhood trying to teach me how to be an extrovert. (For those who weren't at AT5, my mom's an honorary fan and asked to come. She'd never been to any kind of fandom anything before. But she quickly made friends and while she's never asked to go to a convention again, she also completely understands why I go every time.)
==================================
Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
Trindajae

Postby puffandruffle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:46 am

Eek! I'm definitely a GABIT newbie, but not a con newbie. AT6 will be my first GABIT con, and the first one I travel internationally for. Suddenly London seems a very long way from Brisbane, Australia. I'm hoping to travel with a friend from down south if things go well, but if not, I guess I'll be doing this thing alone!
puffandruffle

Postby Trindajae » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:58 am

You'll only be alone at the airports, trust me. :)
Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
Trindajae

Postby telkesh » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:00 am

puffandruffle wrote:Eek! I'm definitely a GABIT newbie, but not a con newbie. AT6 will be my first GABIT con, and the first one I travel internationally for. Suddenly London seems a very long way from Brisbane, Australia. I'm hoping to travel with a friend from down south if things go well, but if not, I guess I'll be doing this thing alone!

Aussie! Believe me, you will not be alone. You won't even be the only Queenslander there! We'll have to say hi.
telkesh

Postby Elainec » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:48 am

Welcome to all Gabit newbies
Last edited by Elainec on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elainec

Postby Nebia92 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm 19, from Germany and AT6 will be my first convention ever. :D
Even though I'm totally happy right now, I'm still wondering what the hell I was thinking, when I decided to register for the event, travelling all alone, without knowing anybody and spending so much money (as a poor, hard working stundent) on a single weekend. ;)
I'm really hoping to meet a lot of great people next year (and Amanda of course) and maybe find a friendly roomie to reduce some of my expenses.

Oh... and did I mention, that I'm sooo nervous and excited about all this. I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

See you there!

:D
Nebia92

Postby Hajnalka » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Nebia92 wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm 19, from Germany and AT6 will be my first convention ever. :D
Even though I'm totally happy right now, I'm still wondering what the hell I was thinking, when I decided to register for the event, travelling all alone, without knowing anybody and spending so much money (as a poor, hard working stundent) on a single weekend. ;)
I'm really hoping to meet a lot of great people next year (and Amanda of course) and maybe find a friendly roomie to reduce some of my expenses.

Oh... and did I mention, that I'm sooo nervous and excited about all this. I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

See you there!

:D

same here, and I keep asking the same question from myself. :D LOL
Hajnalka

Postby bubbles » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:59 pm

You guys are in for one awesome weekend, and you'll be wanting to do it again :D You are in for one fun filled weekend and will leave having made lots of new friends.

Play here on the forums and get to know some of the other attendees, have fun!
Tracy North
bubbles
GABIT Staff

Postby Elys » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi!

I'll be travelling alone, too, but at least it's not that far to travel from Northern Germany to London^^

@Nebia92: Care to share where you live in Germany? I'm from Münster :)
Last edited by Elys on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elys

Postby PaganX » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm so excited to finally get to an AT event!! I'm planning a European trip w/ mum before she heads home and I finish my trip with AT6 and I cannot wait!!

It's my first time to Europe so any helpful recommendations of places to go see/stay at etc I'd be grateful for :)

I'll be traveling alone, for some of it at least! ;) and whilst I didn't technically know anyone when I went to TSE in Vancouver last year, those I had met online were a blast! You have a year so I'd recommend getting onto some social networks like twitter as well as finding people here and start conversing!
PaganX

Postby Elainec » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:52 pm

PaganX wrote:I'm so excited to finally get to an AT event!! I'm planning a European trip w/ mum before she heads home and I finish my trip with AT6 and I cannot wait!!

It's my first time to Europe so any helpful recommendations of places to go see/stay at etc I'd be grateful for :)

I'll be traveling alone, for some of it at least! ;) and whilst I didn't technically know anyone when I went to TSE in Vancouver last year, those I had met online were a blast! You have a year so I'd recommend getting onto some social networks like twitter as well as finding people here and start conversing!

It depends on your budget, mode of transport, what you want to see (ie types of places), how much time you'll have and also how far you want to travel.

Whilst I'm not from London, there's obviously plenty of things you can do in and around the City. Windsor Castle is very close to Heathrow and places such as Stonehenge are doable.

You can get to a lot of the country in a couple of hours, but it does depend on how you're travelling, eg just getting to another city/town doesn't necessarily mean that you are that close to the place you actually want to visit.

There's plenty of time to plan, but I would recommend starting with asking yourself what you want to do with the first question I raised above, then start from there. You will probably then find people from within the travelling distance you come up with might make suggestions.

I'm from Nottingham, which is about 2.5 hrs by car and is steeped in Robin Hood mythology, but things such as the Major Oak/Sherwood Forest are actually about another hour north (by car) from the city centre.

Not sure how much help that has been, but happy to make some other recommendations depending on what you come up with.
Elainec

Postby No1_sonuk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Another problem is that it gets dark early in November, so outside stuff, like Stonehenge would need to be sorted for earlier in the day.
No1_sonuk
Site Admin

Postby Pilot » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Hello everybody,

yeah just received my confirmation that I got a ticket for AT6. It´ll be my first time to AT as well and I´m already overexcited :D Wanted to meet Amanda for so long in person.

@Elys and Nebia: I´m also travelling alone from Germany, I´m from Bochum (so not to far from you Elys) ;)

@Everbody else: How does the thing with a hotel room work? Is it possible to get a double/twin room to share it with somebody, you don´t know yet or do you have to take a single room? Hope somebody could answer me this.

I´m looking forward to see you all in November 2012 :lol:
Last edited by Pilot on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some things have to happen just the way they happen!" N. Bishop (Kay Hooper)
Pilot

Postby Elainec » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:25 pm

A twin or double room, I think, will cost a little more than a single room (not sure on this point since I have always shared with a friend and don't pay much attention to the other room costs) so you might want to make sure you have a roomie before booking your hotel room.

Having said that, you won't get the code for the hotel for a while yet, probably after everyone has paid for their ticket(s) so you have a few months yet to sort out finding someone to share with. The code will be to ensure that you get the special rate that Gabit organise with the hotel and this is usually a lot lower than you would pay at the hotel - so clearly don't even try to book a room yet.
Elainec

Postby Pilot » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:19 pm

Elainec wrote:A twin or double room, I think, will cost a little more than a single room (not sure on this point since I have always shared with a friend and don't pay much attention to the other room costs) so you might want to make sure you have a roomie before booking your hotel room.

Having said that, you won't get the code for the hotel for a while yet, probably after everyone has paid for their ticket(s) so you have a few months yet to sort out finding someone to share with. The code will be to ensure that you get the special rate that Gabit organise with the hotel and this is usually a lot lower than you would pay at the hotel - so clearly don't even try to book a room yet.

Thanks for the fast reply. No I wont try to get a hotel before they send the codes. I figured that much. I just know from other conventions that they offer a half- double room and I was wondering if there is something like that as well. But from your reply I guess I have to find a roommate myself if I´d like to take a double room. Thanks anyway :D
"Some things have to happen just the way they happen!" N. Bishop (Kay Hooper)
Pilot

Postby Elainec » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Someone will generally start a thread for people looking for a roomie, it's obviously early days for AT6 but I suppose it's not too early to start asking around to see if anyone is interested and then you also have time to get to know that person prior to the event through lots of online interaction.

Having a dedicated thread then also makes it easier for other attendees in the same position to post details, or again start to converse with other attendees, rather than having to trawl through lots of different places.

Anyone in that position might want to do that - I would not recommend putting it under the announcement heading though so that it is kept clear for details which are specific to the event.

Just remember to be careful what you put in an open forum, and never put personal contact details in a post - mentioning a country/city you live in is fine, but don't put anything such as an email address or phone number, etc.

In the past people have given general details such as gender, age, etc but again it is entirely up to you what you reveal in an open forum.
Elainec

Postby mocha » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:01 am

there were several posts about finding a roomie for TSE and AT5 on the gabit attendees thread on gateworld too. you might want to keep an eye open there too.
mocha

Postby llperkiss » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:23 am

puffandruffle wrote:Eek! I'm definitely a GABIT newbie, but not a con newbie. AT6 will be my first GABIT con, and the first one I travel internationally for. Suddenly London seems a very long way from Brisbane, Australia. I'm hoping to travel with a friend from down south if things go well, but if not, I guess I'll be doing this thing alone!

I come from Seattle and I travel alone (4th time)....Once you are at the hotel, just look around. You will see two types of people....Flight crews and AT people. We are the ones not in uniforms! :)

Just come up to anyone and say HI and introduce yourself. We are all friendly.
llperkiss

Next

Return to AT6 - Amanda's fans alone - but not for long