Volcano

Moderators: Moderators, Admin

Volcano

Postby Alexa » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:51 pm

While I'm sure I might be jumping the gun here, I though I'd share some disturbing predictions I've heard about the recent volcano activity in Iceland....

In a nut shell, if the volcano doesn't quiet down soon, the ash might just ground flights in Europe (and US/Canada bound) for a period of around 6 months from now on.

So... for those of us who fly from Europe to Canada for these events.... I found the news to be profoundly disturbing considering we have 3 months left before we are to fly out...

So here's hoping for some good news soon.
Alexa

Postby Mumsey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Boat from Southampton to Newfoundland. Train to Vancouver. Job done! It might take a week or two, but it's do-able. :p

Mumsey
Life - It's far more important than what you do for a living.
Richard Dean Anderson
Mumsey
GABIT Director

Postby llperkiss » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Mumsey wrote:Boat from Southampton to Newfoundland. Train to Vancouver. Job done! It might take a week or two, but it's do-able. :p

Mumsey

Just to be safe, do we have a route to AT5 as well :lol:
llperkiss

Postby No1_sonuk » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Fly to Iceland. Get a boat from there.
No1_sonuk
Site Admin

Postby llperkiss » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:29 pm

No1_sonuk wrote:Fly to Iceland. Get a boat from there.

Isn't that where the volcano is? :scratch: You aren't trying to tell me something..... :whistle:
llperkiss

Postby Keely » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Lol

The Cloud now has a Twitter

http://twitter.com/theashcloud
Keely

Postby Alexa » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Mumsey wrote:Boat from Southampton to Newfoundland. Train to Vancouver. Job done! It might take a week or two, but it's do-able. :p

Mumsey

Well, truth is that once you're on the Canadian Coast you can jump a flight to Vancouver. So far the restrictions seem to be only over the EU...

All alternate routes to the N. American coast are welcome... The more choices, the better...

I might have to figure out a land route to Southampton too since I can't fly there either. I'd have to cross most of Europe then find a boat....

This is insane.... can't they put a cork in it or something? Anything? AT ALL?

:cry:

Speeking of which, Romania now has ALL flights grounded, cloud warning started 2 hours ago... I just got home, looked up at the sky.... I haven't seen a clearer sky this spring.... :lol:
Alexa

Postby Becky_Preen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:01 pm

The cloud has drifted south east from iceland, so once you are past that things are clear. hence if you can get to the west of iceland the routes are clear.

If you are inEurope all you have to do is get far enough south and east of the cloud to hop a flight and go the other way round the world.

You can actually drive across the bearing straight if I remember correctly so all possible.

Come on folks where's your sense of ADVENTURE! :)

ROAD TRIP!!!

Becks
Becky_Preen
GABIT Director

Postby clairec007 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:24 pm

If I started to hitch-hike today...wonder if I would be able to make it in time?
Life without SG-1...boring!
clairec007

Postby Elainec » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:41 pm

clairec007 wrote:If I started to hitch-hike today...wonder if I would be able to make it in time?

Only if you've got a really, really long snorkel...
You only live once, but if you do it right, you only need to live once.
Elainec

Postby Alexa » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:58 pm

Becky_Preen wrote:If you are inEurope all you have to do is get far enough south and east of the cloud to hop a flight and go the other way round the world.

Come on folks where's your sense of ADVENTURE! :)

ROAD TRIP!!!

Becks

I'm one of farthest south and east.... and all standard routes to the American continents take us west and north over the UK, along the southern shores of Iceland and Greenland and then over the N. Americas.... I've looked into flights in the other direction.... and for the sake of my own sanity I won't mention the costs.

Also, instead of one stop-over during the standars west bound routes, we're talking from 2 to 3 stop overs and over 2 days lost in tranzit east bound....

Again, much like the trans-atlantic cruisers, it's indeed very do-able... but... well you get my point. And quite honestly, I think I preffer a two week cruise than a 2/3 day flight... I don't even know... I just hope this will go away in a few weeks.... I have to fly out at the end of the month and then again at the end of May....

PS: but Becky is right.... this will be one hell of an adventure.... the quest to meet the man.... this and the holy grail... :lol: the two greatest quests in the history of the world.... oy.
Alexa

Postby No1_sonuk » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:01 am

llperkiss wrote:
No1_sonuk wrote:Fly to Iceland. Get a boat from there.

Isn't that where the volcano is? :scratch: You aren't trying to tell me something..... :whistle:

Reykjavik is North-West of the Volcano. The wind is blowing the ash South-East.
No1_sonuk
Site Admin

Postby Trindajae » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:40 am

llperkiss wrote:

Mumsey

If you can't find your way 3 hours north to Vancouver, never fear! I will be in your car. I can navigate in a straight line. ;)
==================================
Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
Trindajae

Postby llperkiss » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:54 am

Trindajae wrote:
llperkiss wrote:

Mumsey

If you can't find your way 3 hours north to Vancouver, never fear! I will be in your car. I can navigate in a straight line. ;)

Hey Trin, Vancouver I can drive to, but AT5??? My car doesn't have water wings. :shock:
llperkiss

Postby Trindajae » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:06 am

llperkiss wrote:Hey Trin, Vancouver I can drive to, but AT5??? My car doesn't have water wings. :shock:

In that case, you need to watch more Top Gear. They made a pickup truck that they could drive across the channel to France. I'm sure I can modify something to fit your car.... and the Atlantic Ocean isn't really all that large...

*hopeful grin*
Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.
Trindajae

Postby Alexa » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:37 pm

I think the airlines are more stressed about the flight ban than we are.... We're thiking Cons, they're thinking hundred of millions of Euros... :roll: I think it's safe to say they'll figure something out....

Case in point:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100418/ap_ ... nd_volcano

AF and KLM... *loves* Personally I'm an Air France fangirl.
Alexa

Postby Mumsey » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:15 pm

I'd be more worried about Mt. St. Helens
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/m ... lassic.php
I've been watching that lump in the middle grow for the past year now. It steams a bit, and could blow at any moment apparently.

I'm just sayin'.

Don'cha just love Mother Nature??

What will be will be. I'll worry more in a month or two if things aren't better. The Iceland volcano (I'm not even going to try to name it) is supposedly not chucking out so much now, so lets hope it will settle down again soon.

Mumsey
Life - It's far more important than what you do for a living.
Richard Dean Anderson
Mumsey
GABIT Director

Postby Trindajae » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:52 am

Mumsey wrote:I'd be more worried about Mt. St. Helens

That is so not okay! I haven't heard about this lately, though there was some chatter a couple of months back. I wasn't around for the last eruption, but I am not cherishing the idea of working for 9-1-1 if it erupts again. The couple of senior folks we have still tell horror stories about the 1981 eruption and how much it sucked to be working during it. Here's to hoping it's just changing shape and then settles back down for the next couple of decades. Or even a century would be good...
Trindajae

Postby Twinklecat3 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:43 am

OMG- well, if anyone has to do this- i will be in El Paso TX on 7/30 around noonish with an SUV-then to travel to Vancouver to arrive by the 11th. I will have at least one seat available, possibly 2 if any one has to do this...yes I am crazy, but that is how it goes. :lol: :roll:

Return trip is also available...
Twinklecat3

Postby Trindajae » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:04 am

For anyone who is like a to-remain-nameless German friend of mine, I'd like to point out that Twinklecat isn't (well, not entirely) taking the long way around by that drive. It's somewhere around 1500 miles (~2400km). It's not a one-day trek. (Speaking of which Twinklecat, how many days were you planning to do it in? Just curious. :D I'm only driving up from Oregon, so I'll be doing it in a single day.)

Background story for my comment: Nameless German friend thought it would be a good idea before a convention in Indianapolis, Indiana, if she and her husband landed in Texas, drove to the Georgia coast, then up through Washington D.C. and back west to Indianapolis. They were planning to allot about 4 days to get this trek done, including sight-seeing, which is when the rest of us stepped in to help them figure out what the scale was on the map they were using. We've never assumed any other Germans would make the same mistake, but our friends have still not lived that one down and it's been 10 years. ;)
Trindajae

Postby Twinklecat3 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:25 am

Leaving Sat or very early Sun, and arriving sometime on Wed. Same with going back...I had planned this last November so as to see something of the country while i was out there!!! Of course, the people at AAA think I am a nutcase, but that is how it goes. and i will most likely end up either killing my parental units or you will find me dead by the side of the road by their hand. Oh well, family sure is FUN!!!!
Twinklecat3

Postby Alexa » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:12 pm

OMG.... that would be such a cool trip... getting to see more of the country along the way.... you're SO lucky to have the choice of a road trip.
Alexa

Postby Twinklecat3 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:53 pm

I will be traveling up through California and Oregon and Washington, and going back through Colorado. My parents have always traveled and this will be a drop in the bucket for them...
Twinklecat3

Postby llperkiss » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Trindajae wrote: I'm only driving up from Oregon, so I'll be doing it in a single day. ;)

I hope it will be in a single day....I would hate to take too many detours from my place which is around Seattle. I suppose we could do the island route which would require using the ferryboat system. That would add a lot of travel time, especially if we have to go back to the mainland after each island. Then we can ferry over to Vancouver Island and then over to Vancouver. Now that would add to the trip. :lol:
llperkiss

Postby No1_sonuk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:39 pm

Becky and I ( mostly Becky) once drove the 1700 miles from Toledo to Orlando in just over a day. She was at University in Toledo, and we were too young to hire a car in Florida, so we had to drive.
She ran on McDonalds coffee (for the caffeine) with so much sugar in it that no more would dissolve! The sugar was, allegedly, to kill the taste of the coffee, but I can't help thinking that caffeine+sugar= :shock:

Then, of course, there was the drive back...
No1_sonuk
Site Admin

Next

Return to Meet The Man - Chat