Welcome

Moderators: liesl_99801, Jenn_S, Moderators, Admin

Postby SuetheLurker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Elainec wrote:
Amanda_Tapping_Fan wrote:Welcome Gillz
And I know youll make tons of friends in no time :D

The problem is often remembering who everyone is in terms of names. Everyone will say hello, and it's generally very easy to recognise another con goer, but remembering a face with a name is sometimes a little confusing.

Add to that the fact that some folk have two or more names (online nicknames and such) it gets very confusing.....or is that simply because I'm getting old?? ;)
SuetheLurker

Postby Aeryn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeah. When I registered I put a "common" nickname for me as my "online name" (because honestly, I wasn't really paying attention as the reason why there was that "online name" there *con newbie* )... So I put Skaene instead of Aeryn...
Maybe I'll put Skaene in my signature space, so that way people maybe will make the liaison :lol:
twitter: @roseverafter - tumblr: kyntira
Newbie ? Be sure to come and say hi, I SWEAR I do not bite ! =D
Aeryn

Postby Karin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm from Austria and it's my first AT convention. I'm so exited, that I got a ticket and to meet you all in november.

I want to apologize for mistakes, but my english is ot the best and my time in school was some decades ago.

1000 thanks to the staff for your great job and for your kindnes.

I have a question: In which place is the convention and which hotels are near?

Hugs to everyone

Karin
Karin

Postby Aeryn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Hey Karin, welcome around :D .
So, the con takes place in this hotel, in London UK (it's right beside Heathrow Airport :lol: ). You have a bunch of hotel around the airport, so you get plenty of choice, but we are quite a number here who actually booked (or plan to book) a room at Renaissance :)

Make sure you read the Gabit's FAQ if you haven't yet, you may find some valuable info :D

I'm new too to the convention universe, but I think I get things better now since I asked questions. So don't worry, if there's anything you wonder, just ask it here and very nice people shall come and happily answer you :D

Welcome to the Gabit Events Attendees (ever expanding) Family :lol:
Aeryn

Postby mocha » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:05 am

SuetheLurker wrote:
Elainec wrote:

The problem is often remembering who everyone is in terms of names. Everyone will say hello, and it's generally very easy to recognise another con goer, but remembering a face with a name is sometimes a little confusing.

Add to that the fact that some folk have two or more names (online nicknames and such) it gets very confusing.....or is that simply because I'm getting old?? ;)

i know i'm terrible putting names to faces. maybe someone (with the computer skills to do it) could put together a thing of mug shots(for those willing to provide them) and forum names and real names(first names at least). does that sound like a doable thing? at least that would give the name/face impaired people attending a helpful tool to have. :?:
mocha

Postby Aeryn » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:06 am

mocha wrote:
SuetheLurker wrote:
Elainec wrote:

i know i'm terrible putting names to faces. maybe someone (with the computer skills to do it) could put together a thing of mug shots(for those willing to provide them) and forum names and real names(first names at least). does that sound like a doable thing? at least that would give the name/face impaired people attending a helpful tool to have. :?:

:badgrin: I was just thinking about that XDD But still, depends of people willing to give a pic of themselves :?
Aeryn

Postby liesl_99801 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:59 am

Welcome Glliz.

Sorry to all for being so quiet on my end I was out of town with family and did not have access to the internet for just over a week. I think that might be a record for mee. LOLOL I will indevor to catch up on all the posts I have missed and answer any questions people might have.

Glliz I am sure you will not be alone as by November I am sure you will have many new friends from the boards to get together with. Myself included! Cheers
liesl_99801
GABIT Staff

Postby wigglesfunk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:39 pm

Hello! My name is Danielle (aka wigglesfunk) and I'm finally registered here! LOL I'm such a nut, the first time I tried to register here it didn't work. Okay I didn't work right! Anyhoo, here I am and I just thought I'd say howdy!

Can't wait to meet you all at AT4!!!!!
wigglesfunk

Postby Aeryn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:47 pm

wigglesfunk... Why, oh why, do I think of the Pretender when I read this? *lmao*

Welcome around :D . Are you the one Danielle who just asked for the FB group? Or is it nothing but a coincidence? :D
Looking forward to meet you too... :D

Edit: just checked your location. You *are* the one from FB. Great to hear from you :D
Aeryn

For SuetheLurker

Postby llperkiss » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:54 pm

If all you need is a pint to keep up with her - heck, I buy you that pint. So now you shouldn't have any problems keeping up with all 5'9" of her. And any time you want the pint, just find me. I'll be somewhere in the audience. ;)
BTW - the offer is for real, because if I have a pint, I wouldn't keep up with anyone, I'd have to go to the bathroom with my kidneys laughing all the way. Well, maybe after a few pints. But then I didn't say I would only have one.
llperkiss

Postby Karin » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:14 pm

Aeryn wrote:Hey Karin, welcome around :D .
So, the con takes place in this hotel, in London UK (it's right beside Heathrow Airport :lol: ). You have a bunch of hotel around the airport, so you get plenty of choice, but we are quite a number here who actually booked (or plan to book) a room at Renaissance :)

Make sure you read the Gabit's FAQ if you haven't yet, you may find some valuable info :D

I'm new too to the convention universe, but I think I get things better now since I asked questions. So don't worry, if there's anything you wonder, just ask it here and very nice people shall come and happily answer you :D

Welcome to the Gabit Events Attendees (ever expanding) Family :lol:

Thank's Aeryn, for your answer. I'm waiting for the details and the booking code, and than it will be my pleasure, to book in the same hotel and to meet you all there.

Have a wonderful sunday evening.

Hugs from Karin
Karin

Postby Aeryn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:56 pm

you're welcome ^_^
Aeryn

Postby telkesh » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:03 am

wigglesfunk wrote:Can't wait to meet you all at AT4!!!!!

And I can't wait to watch you squirming on the day before AT4 ;)

Hey Wiggs, Glad you made it over here. Ash is around somewhere, too.
telkesh

Postby ash0283 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:26 pm

telkesh wrote:
wigglesfunk wrote:Can't wait to meet you all at AT4!!!!!

And I can't wait to watch you squirming on the day before AT4 ;)

Hey Wiggs, Glad you made it over here. Ash is around somewhere, too.

Wigwambam hiya! And hello Tel! (What do you mean her squirming the day before AT4? hehe.)

Hi everyone! I have to say I just wanted to say that I completely agree with the whole faces and names thing. I was joking around with some of my new friends about that...

The mugshots thing would actually be kinda funny. Maybe we could all put pictures, and perhaps little slogans with each of our names... like...

<<picture>>
Ash0283
The tree-hugger in stilettos who thinks she can write.
ash0283

Postby Amanda_Tapping_Fan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:41 am

OH my gosh...Just booked my flights to Amsterdam...It was actually really nerve racking...I also bought my dress for the Cocktail party...and I have an idea for what Im going to the disco as....I feel great
Amanda_Tapping_Fan 4 Life

"The men cheered, the Woman Fainted, and the children waved multicolored flags" :D
Yip thats me, Im a woman when It come to Amanda
Amanda_Tapping_Fan

Location: somewhere...some place..looking like a kiwi fruit with cucumber/tomato legs...

Postby Trindajae » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:36 pm

I actually really like the idea of the mug shots. I am horrible with names. (I even routinely forget coworker names and there are a couple of them that I've been working with for 2 years.)

And hi to everyone from the SFA board. I finally broke down and decided to play on this board, too. :)
Trindajae

Postby liesl_99801 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Welcome Trindajae we would love to have you come join our boards. We love having new people to chat with. Cheers Liesl
liesl_99801
GABIT Staff

Postby Aeryn » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:09 pm

what exactly is a mug shot? Why not call it pictures, or anything? :lol:
(sorry, i've been trying to understand on my own, but I just can't see why it is called that way :oops: )
*feels stupid*
Aeryn

Postby No1_sonuk » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:17 pm

No1_sonuk
Site Admin

Postby Aeryn » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks *goes looking to the links*
I'm stupid, sometimes, uh? xD
Aeryn

Postby Trindajae » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Aeryn wrote:Thanks *goes looking to the links*
I'm stupid, sometimes, uh? xD

It's not stupid to misunderstand regional variations in language! You should come take a look at the thread on the SFA board, Our accents and phrases. We've discovered some very funny and interesting things about the way English is spoken in different areas. And you should always feel free to ask me about any culturally-inspired language weirdness. If I don't know the answer, I'll happily help dig around until we find it. Language is weird and fun. (Did I mention I have a degree in Sociology? Sociologists are basically archeologists, except we're interested in cultures that are still around. The analogy I gave my mother is that if an archeologist wants to study a civilization, they dig in the dirt. A sociologist buys a plane ticket.)

Oh, and while poking around the definitions for mug, I saw this and thought you might want it: Mug Shot

What the definition doesn't say is that when it's used out of a criminal context, like it was here, it still has the cultural connotation of trouble makers but with a humorous tone. We used to joke in high school about the annual school photos being mug shots because they always looked awful and our parents always made us go get them done when we'd have rather not documented the awkward teenage phase of our lives. Silly parents. :)
Trindajae

Postby Aeryn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:07 pm

Well, you love to explain and I love to learn (I swear, I love English, if I could I'd speak it all day... but my mom wouldn't agree >.< )...

And to warn everyone, my English teacher says I have an American accent when I speak English, so... Do I speak American then? xD
Aeryn

Postby Trindajae » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Aeryn wrote:Well, you love to explain and I love to learn (I swear, I love English, if I could I'd speak it all day... but my mom wouldn't agree >.< )...

And to warn everyone, my English teacher says I have an American accent when I speak English, so... Do I speak American then? xD

You tried to whisper that last part, I see. No sense being ashamed of accent, either, especially when it'll help my mom out! She's terrified that she's not going to understand anyone because when she called the hotel to make reservations, she couldn't understand the receptionist and the receptionist was very snotty about it. It made my mom feel bad. We're running language lessons every week, watching British TV with the captions on so she can follow it. Right now we're working on Doctor Who, which she's not a huge fan of but occasionally enjoys, and then we'll be moving onto something else. If anyone has suggestions for good shows, I don't know anything about non-sci-fi Brtitish TV. I've got Coronation Street, East Enders, Dad's Army, and Black Adder because it looked like they were pretty well-known according to Wikipedia.

As for speaking American, I can help you out with that if you'd like. And you really should check out the SFA thread I linked to. We talk about all sorts of things. The topic when last I checked in over there was various nicknames and how common the nicknames were for money.
==================================
Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
==================================
Trindajae

Postby No1_sonuk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:45 pm

Aeryn wrote:And to warn everyone, my English teacher says I have an American accent when I speak English, so... Do I speak American then? xD

That's not unusual for non-native speakers. The vast amount of North American TV propagated around the world is to blame.

Trinda:
Tell your mum not to worry - she might not have been speaking to a native English-speaker anyway.
No1_sonuk
Site Admin

Postby No1_sonuk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:03 pm

Trindajae wrote: I've got Coronation Street, East Enders, Dad's Army, and Black Adder because it looked like they were pretty well-known according to Wikipedia.

Coronation Street is Manchester - Northern England.
East Enders is London.
Black Adder has a small mix of accents, but mostly Southern England.
Dad's Army is probably the best mix, ranging from the London Cockney of Joe Walker up to the Scottish of Fraser.

Scottish is probably the one you'll have most trouble with.
The Scottish accents on American TV like Star Trek's Scotty are usually toned down so they can be understood.

Oh, and FYI - Dick Van Dyke's accent in Mary Poppins is NOT Cockney, and is the subject of much ridicule here. :)
No1_sonuk
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to AT4 - Amanda's fans alone - but not for long