Welcome

Moderators: Jenn_S, liesl_99801, Admin, Moderators

Welcome

Postby liesl_99801 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:18 pm

Welcome to the new thread!!! This will be the place to get to know people, ask questions about the event and get over any fears you may have.

I realize that when you have never been to a convention such as this or even travelled alone before it can be alittle frightning. Well that is why we are here. Jenn and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have and help bring new friends together.

I look foward to chatting with each and everyone of you here and at the event itself. Cheers Liesl
liesl_99801
GABIT Staff

Postby Jenn_S » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:47 am

Ohhhh a new shiny thread for me to play in!

WELCOME TO YOU ALL!

I am Jenn *waves* and I am here to help Liesl help you ;)

We cover 2 main timezones so there will always be one of us about to answer any question you may have. I know I have said this already but no question is ever silly. Ask away!

I look forward to meeting everyone on the forum and then at AT4!

In the meantime I hope you all have fun here and I send you loads and laods of *HUGS*

J.x.

There are hundreds of languages in the world but a smile can speak them all!!
Jenn_S
GABIT Staff

Postby suse_germany » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:19 am

Cool idea... I felt kinda lonely at AT3... I mean I travelled with a friend of mine but I didn't know any other people there... so wooohooo on the gettin to know each other project.

With me only attending AT3 for one day and not staying in the Renaissance... I'm pretty sure there'll be some things I have to bug you about as half-newby ;)

So *hugs* back@ya Jenn :P and thanks to both of you for offering the help!!!
~ ♥ ~ Suse ~ ♥ ~

suse_germany

4 me..

Postby Amanda_Tapping_Fan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:27 am

YAY a topic for me...
Im not only going to AT4 by myself but also going to Europe by myself, it will be my first time eva....scary so Im hoping to meet lots of people over there so I dont feel like a loner
Amanda_Tapping_Fan 4 Life

"The men cheered, the Woman Fainted, and the children waved multicolored flags" :D
Yip thats me, Im a woman when It come to Amanda
Amanda_Tapping_Fan

Location: somewhere...some place..looking like a kiwi fruit with cucumber/tomato legs...

Re: 4 me..

Postby liesl_99801 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Amanda_Tapping_Fan wrote:YAY a topic for me...
Im not only going to AT4 by myself but also going to Europe by myself, it will be my first time eva....scary so Im hoping to meet lots of people over there so I dont feel like a loner

Don't hesitate to ask away Amanda_Tapping_Fan as AT1 eas my 1st convention and my first trip to Europe. I was not sure what to expect then either. Now I have tried out both Heathrow and Gatwick.

I recommend flying into Heathrow as it is right next to the convention hotel. But if you can get a much cheaper ticket into Gatwick there is ground transportation between the airports.

suse_germany it will be great to have you back for AT4.

And Yes Jenn You are stuck with me!!! :newbanana:
liesl_99801
GABIT Staff

Postby katie5 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:22 am

Oh! Oh! *rises hand* Can I say something?

Liesl and Jenn, thanks for this thread :D

I was at AT3 and before it hadn't known anyone who was attending the weekend, but during it I made a couple of great friends that I still keep in touch with :D

So don't be afraid, I know it can be scary to travel on your own and you of course always have to be careful, but I just wanted to say the people at GABIT's events are the one big family :D

Hugs,
Katie
katie5

Postby ChelleDB » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:28 am

Hey Amanda!! You and me both!! I was thinking...depending on when you were planning on traveling, we could almost possibly travel together!
I'm leaving Australia soon after Armageddon finishes...I get to meet Amanda for the first time in my home town...well kinda home town...I don't actually live in Melbourne itself! :p Talk about weird how things worked out!
I have to admit, I am on the slightly nervous side of travelling alone. I've never travelled alone...it's always been with either my parents or with hubby and the kids...but never alone. And don't get me wrong...I don't mind being a bit scared and what not as it is the first of may things for me. And it's just another indication to say I'm alive! :)
I'm excited and scared and giddy and happily stressed. It's nice to have a place to come and talk about it though and to meet others in the same predicament!
ChelleDB

Postby samandjackforever » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:19 pm

ChelleDB wrote:

Hey Amanda!! You and me both!! I was thinking...depending on when you were planning on traveling, we could almost possibly travel together!
I'm leaving Australia soon after Armageddon finishes...I get to meet Amanda for the first time in my home town...well kinda home town...I don't actually live in Melbourne itself! :p Talk about weird how things worked out!
I have to admit, I am on the slightly nervous side of travelling alone. I've never travelled alone...it's always been with either my parents or with hubby and the kids...but never alone. And don't get me wrong...I don't mind being a bit scared and what not as it is the first of may things for me. And it's just another indication to say I'm alive! :)
I'm excited and scared and giddy and happily stressed. It's nice to have a place to come and talk about it though and to meet others in the same predicament!

Hey Chelle!!!!
I'm more than likely gonna be attending alone this year. I tried to convince Mum to go as she is a big fan of Amanda, but alas, bills and other expenditures are preventing her from coming.
So, i'll be all by my lonesome (although i'm hoping to meet up with telekena again this year - it was so weird, we'd chatted online, swapped mobile phone numbers and planned on meeting up and half way through the cocktail party, realised we'd been sitting on oppopsite tables for about an hour! And THEN, by fate we were actually sitting next to each other in the Q&A! lol)

Are you planning on attending the cocktail party?
"I didn't leave, 'cos I would have rather died myself than lose Carter"

"Why?"

"'Cos I care about her... a LOT more than I'm supposed to."

Sam & Jack "Always" & Forever
samandjackforever

Postby milkyway » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi all :)

I'm Mieke and a new fan :) but already totally Amanda-addicted LOL

I'd LOVE to go to AT4 but I'm not sure I'll be able to go :(
I'm a full time primary school teacher so I won't be able to come on Friday. But I'm also a drama teacher on Saturday at the local academy and I'll have to work till noon. And I live in Belgium ...
So is it still worth to come late Saturday afternoon? OR only Saturday and Sunday (I'm looking for a solution for my Saturday morning classes)

I really really want to gooooooooo ;)
milkyway

Postby Jenn_S » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:06 pm

milkyway wrote:Hi all :)

I'm Mieke and a new fan :) but already totally Amanda-addicted LOL

I'd LOVE to go to AT4 but I'm not sure I'll be able to go :(
I'm a full time primary school teacher so I won't be able to come on Friday. But I'm also a drama teacher on Saturday at the local academy and I'll have to work till noon. And I live in Belgium ...
So is it still worth to come late Saturday afternoon? OR only Saturday and Sunday (I'm looking for a solution for my Saturday morning classes)

I really really want to gooooooooo ;)

Hello Mieke and welcome to the forum :D

I would say the best bet would be to come Friday night. That is if you can get someone to cover for you Saturday ;)

That way you can come to the event all day Saturday & Sunday and the only thing you will miss would be the cocktail party Friday night!

I really hope you can make it too!

Many Hugs

J.x.

Jenn_S
GABIT Staff

Postby ChelleDB » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:19 pm

samandjackforever wrote:Hey Chelle!!!!
I'm more than likely gonna be attending alone this year. I tried to convince Mum to go as she is a big fan of Amanda, but alas, bills and other expenditures are preventing her from coming.
So, i'll be all by my lonesome (although i'm hoping to meet up with telekena again this year - it was so weird, we'd chatted online, swapped mobile phone numbers and planned on meeting up and half way through the cocktail party, realised we'd been sitting on oppopsite tables for about an hour! And THEN, by fate we were actually sitting next to each other in the Q&A! lol)
Are you planning on attending the cocktail party?

Hey samandjackforever...love the name btw!! ;)
I'm planning on attending the cocktail party but I know there are a lot of people who are hoping to attend also so try as I might, if I don't get a ticket to the cocktail party then I'll go along to whatever's going on elsewhere!
I do know that I have to work the weekend when the tickets go on sale and I'll have to be up at 2.30am to get online...needless to say, I'm either going to be very very exhausted at work that morning or I'll be on such a high I'll probably crash when I get home...I'm thinking Ill do the latter! :D
It's so exciting. I can't wait to meet with everyone. I think that's gonna be the most exciting part of the weekend for me. I think. My biggest and worst concern would be having an anxiety/panic attack...I'm kinda prone to them and I don't have much control over them but I'll be speaking to my GP about all my concerns well in advance of travelling!
It's just gonna be so weird and awesome to finally put faces to names I have become very familiar with over the last 3 years.
Its all good!! :D
ChelleDB

Hi

Postby rockluvva » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:17 am

Hello

I will be poised to buy a ticket on Jan 3rd - I have done one other weekend Con alone (spent an absolute fortune at the auction) & will be doing at least one more next year before this one (alone as well), however this will be my first Gabit Con & I will be going alone to this one too, so I'm hoping I will be successful & get the fullblown bells-&-whistles ticket (cutting off circulation having everything crossed!!)

I'm all excited too!! Image
rockluvva

Postby Amanda_Tapping_Fan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:25 am

ChelleDB wrote:

Yeah I leaving just after Armageddon too, What date is the Auzzie Armageddon? is it before the auckland one or after? Im planing on leaving on the 27th of October
Amanda_Tapping_Fan 4 Life

"The men cheered, the Woman Fainted, and the children waved multicolored flags" :D
Yip thats me, Im a woman when It come to Amanda
Amanda_Tapping_Fan

Location: somewhere...some place..looking like a kiwi fruit with cucumber/tomato legs...

Postby ChelleDB » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:52 am

Amanda_Tapping_Fan wrote:Yeah I leaving just after Armageddon too, What date is the Auzzie Armageddon? is it before the auckland one or after? Im planing on leaving on the 27th of October

The Aussie Armageddon is before the NZ one...I'll probably be leaving soon after that.
Now in my dreams of course, I'd be able to fly to NZ and see Amanda there too and then fly with her to the UK...but...I'm not that delusional! :lol:
My bet is however, that she will be flying directly from NZ to the UK...of course I have been known to be wrong...on many counts!! ;)
ChelleDB

Postby Krystle » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:51 pm

ME!!!!!

I'll be going alone too. I'm sorta excited about it though because I'm making it a mini-ish vacation so I'll be there a little under two weeks.
Krystle

Re: Hi

Postby Jenn_S » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:26 am

rockluvva wrote:Hello

I will be poised to buy a ticket on Jan 3rd - I have done one other weekend Con alone (spent an absolute fortune at the auction) & will be doing at least one more next year before this one (alone as well), however this will be my first Gabit Con & I will be going alone to this one too, so I'm hoping I will be successful & get the fullblown bells-&-whistles ticket (cutting off circulation having everything crossed!!)

I'm all excited too!! Image

Hello!!

And a warm welcome to you!

Sorry I have been so bad and not been online recently. I work in retail and the big bad 'C' word is almost here so I have been basically living at my work so I apologise it has taken so long to come say hello *waves*

Awwww first time at Gabit! I am excited for you!! LOL (I need to get out more....I know this!)

I look forward to talking/meeting you :D

*huge warm hugs*

J.x.

Jenn_S
GABIT Staff

Postby Jenn_S » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:27 am

Krystle wrote:ME!!!!!

I'll be going alone too. I'm sorta excited about it though because I'm making it a mini-ish vacation so I'll be there a little under two weeks.

Ohhhhh 2 weeks! nice :)

Wrap up warm that is all I will say! And if you have plans to come to Scotland bring an waterproof jacket or an umbrella ;)

Welcome to the madness :)

*huge hugs*

J.x.

Jenn_S
GABIT Staff

Postby liesl_99801 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:39 am

welcome Rockluvva and Krystle!

I am excited to see so many new faces. The more the merrier in adding to the GABIT family I say!

Yes Bring a hat or coat with a hood as I have seen it rain a time or two...three...four :lol: It does tend to get cool outside but to me that is relative as I am from Alaska! Hee Hee I have also heard that it actually snows in London on rare occasions. :)

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy Holiday! Liesl
liesl_99801
GABIT Staff

Going alone

Postby llperkiss » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:48 am

Last year I went to my first AT convention and I went alone. It really was not so bad. I met a lot of people, Amanda was as wonderful as one would expect and more so, and the people were very friendly. It was definately worth the cost from the US. I am hoping to go again in Novermber if I can scrape together the money. And again, I expect to meet a lot of really nice people.
llperkiss

Postby Krystle » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:28 am

Jenn_S wrote:
Krystle wrote:ME!!!!!

Ohhhhh 2 weeks! nice :)

Wrap up warm that is all I will say!

I figure if I'm saving all this money up I might as well make the best of it.

I already know I'm going to freeze all my little (and big) bits off. I only have one real jacket and no real winter clothes. I'm going to have to go shopping before I leave to buy heavier clothes. I say real winter as opposed to my normal California winter. I've been spoiled and I have a sweater-like jacket on when it gets like 75. It was 65 today and I had a light jacket, my heavy jacket and gloves on and I froze. I'm just thankful my hotel room will have a heater. Brrr!!
Krystle

Postby rockluvva » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:49 pm

Hey Jenn & Liesl - *waves back*

Thanks for the lovely welcome! I'm sure I will have a blast! Sooooooo looking forward to it!

Will be keeping an eye on the shennanigans on here throughout too! :badgrin:

Image to you's too!
rockluvva

Postby ash0283 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:55 pm

And wanted to pop my head in here and say hi!
Granted if I can get a ticket, I'll be traveling to AT4 by myself from Boston!.

This is my first time going to one of these events, and I can't be more excited... for 2 reasons really...
1. Pretty cool venue, with the awesome chance to meet someone whom I believe to be a phenomenal role model.
2. Meeting up with people who I've become friendly with on the Sanctuary for All forum...

I thought I'd say hi to anyone else coming alone... cause hopefully, though we may be coming alone, we'll be leaving with friendships! (hot dang that was a bit of a lame statement, but I think it's pertinent hehe)
ash0283

Postby liesl_99801 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:18 am

ash0283 wrote:
I thought I'd say hi to anyone else coming alone... cause hopefully, though we may be coming alone, we'll be leaving with friendships! (hot dang that was a bit of a lame statement, but I think it's pertinent hehe)

Hey Ash welcome! Your statement is not lame. I am sure you will leave the event with many new friends just as I did when I came to AT1. Now AT events are like getting together with family. :D Look foward to meeting you and have a happy holidays in Boston.
liesl_99801
GABIT Staff

Postby ChelleDB » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:36 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this so I picked this spot...I just wanted to wish all the Gabit staff and friends and all the Gabiteers and future Gabiteers a wonderful, safe Christmas!!
It just brings us closer to finally meeting...I can't wait!!! :)
Merry Christmas all!
ChelleDB

Postby julia_teasy_hague » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:08 pm

ChelleDB wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this so I picked this spot...I just wanted to wish all the Gabit staff and friends and all the Gabiteers and future Gabiteers a wonderful, safe Christmas!!
It just brings us closer to finally meeting...I can't wait!!! :)
Merry Christmas all!

Thanks Chelle! Wherever you post Christmas wishes is the right place to post them.

A fantastic Christmas to all our wonderful past and future attendees. We look forward to a fantastic year and meeting many of you at AT4.

Peace to all of you,

Julia
G4
Julia - Guest Services Director
G4, Gabit Events
julia_teasy_hague
GABIT Director

Next

Return to AT4 - Amanda's fans alone - but not for long