Heathrow Airport travel issues

Moderators: Admin, Moderators

Heathrow Airport travel issues

Postby Alexa » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:02 pm

I thought that since mostof us will be using Heathrow airport this bitof news concerns everyone.....

:(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080401/wl ... ortairport

My flight IS British Airways and IS scheduled to land at Terminal 5. So far it has not been canceled and they have one month to solve the curent problems....

You know... this is EXACTLY why I didn't want to risk flying in with a lowcost flight.... this is EXACTLY what I wanted to avoid.... and now they do this????

What am I supposed to do now? Cancel and book another company? Stick with BA and hope they solve this? This is AT3 for crying out loud.... I waited for this for a whole year!!!! They can't do this to us!!!!
Alexa

Postby Pegasus Angel » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:35 pm

Well those are your choices:
1. Stick it out and hope they clear it up...
2. Change your flight to say Gatwick for example...if you can.

However changing your flight could incur a charge. If you are flying in on the Thursday (always sensible to arrive a day early if you are flying in), then you can maybe stick with the potential delays knowing you'll get to AT3 a little late, but you won't miss it...

I have no choice but to fly into Gatwick then get the coach to Heathrow. My friend is about to book his flight over from Finalnd, so I told him not to fly into Heathrow T5 if he can help it.

Sorry I can't be of more help... :(
Founder of the Facebook group:
SANCTUARY - Friends For All
Pegasus Angel

Postby Alexa » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:49 pm

I fly in on Thursday.... when I booked the flight there was a huge scandal with lowcost flights that had 12 hours delay so... Joke's on me.... now those run fine and big companies don't....

It's not the getting there that I worry about.... it's about my luggage too... I need the cocktail dress and the shoes, I need the items that i want signed, i need the top for the photo op.... it's a 5 day trip, i can't live on one change of clothes!!!! No matter how much i shower.... if you know what i mean.... it would be just hideous.... I'll try to stick most of my stuff in my hand luggage, but even so.... there's a reason why I need a check-in luggage....

:(
Alexa

Postby Becky_Preen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:03 pm

While flights are being cancelled at the moment that is a temporary measure while they sort out the problems. As I understand it they are also cancelling the multiple flights to single destinations, and trying to keep the one flight a day to x flights on. If they cancel your flight they should help you find another one. I doubt that anyones flight will have been cancelled at this stage though.

The bigger worry is actually the baggage handling. I am inclined to believe and indeed hope that inbound traffic would be less badly affected than outbound. Afterall all they have to do is unload the plane and stick it on a carosell. Going home might be more of an issue.

Having had bags been delayed on trips before (actually I think Amsterdamn is the worst for this!!) I always advise people to pack a change of cholthes ( or at least undies) in thier carry on bags. you know they will make it on and off the plane with you.

If you are travelling with someone else, pack half of your clothes in each suitcase and vary what goes in each so you can manage for a couple of days if only one makes the trip with you.

Never pack anything in checked bags you are not prepared to never see again... I am talking sentimental value items. I lost a set of wedding photos for three days in the USA once...

Make a list of everything you have packed and keep it with you in your carry on. If you can, take a picture of your luggage so you can accurately describe it. Measure it so you have the exact dimensions. tie some curling ribbon or something tot he handle so you can tell at a distance it's yours.

Put your name and Address on the INSIDE as well as the outside of the bag: The hotel and dates you are staying there, and your HOME address. Put this on top just inside the lid of the suitcase so if the tag goes missing they can trace you. Airlines destroy/ sell off hundreds of unclaimed bags every year just because they can't figure out who they belong to.

Finally... Don't panic... yet...

We will be keeping up with developments and hopefully they will get thier act together before the busy may day bank holiday on which you are all travelling...

hugs and good wishes ( plus apologies for the incompetance of BAA and BA)
Becks
G4
Becky_Preen
GABIT Director

Postby Alexa » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:11 pm

I agree with you that getting to London shoudln't be that much of a problem if the flight isn't canceled.... the airport of origin is at fault for any baggage delay or loss.... especially since I for one don't have to change flights...

Going back home is not a stress.... I'll pack all my AT3 things in my hand bag. Clothes can be replaced.... once at home...

It's just that it's easy to get anxious when this trip is for something that we've all been looking forward to so much...

30 days should be enough for them to fix things.... Worst case... they close down T5 and revert to the old system... which had been working quite well until now....

Inbound.... i just have to remember inbound... the luggage WILL get there...

*sobs*

Thanks Becks. Anyone else hear anything new keep the rest of us updated, please?
Alexa

Postby Becky_Preen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:25 pm

Okay I just went and had a rummage on the news websites. the 20,000 bags they have kicking about are mainly people who were transitting through Heathrow leaving through T5 and people leaving T5.

There were severe delays getting bags arriving at T5. People waiting four or five hours for bags to be unloaded and appear on carosels.

Hot tip is:

Put the Name address and DATES you are staying Of the hotel ON THE OUTSIDE of the bag. That way, they can send it onto you without too much trouble. The dates and the address of the hotel are the important things, otherwise they will have to look up when you are due to fly home, work out where you are and then send you the bag. If they have the information easily acessible, they can just send onto you. Otherwise they are likely to send it back to you at home.

Becks
Becky_Preen
GABIT Director

Postby Alexa » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:17 pm

Oh ok.... that's good news.... I canlive with a few hours delay in my luggage as long as I get it.... I'll pack the cocktail dress in my handbag anyway and in 36 hours they mught get my luggage to the hotel for the Saturday event..... :roll:

Thanks for all the help Becks. I guess a little worry and anxiety will make us all appreciate the event that much more when it'll go without a glitch... LOL! Morbid, I know, but it's true.... i learned it the hard way.... and MAN is every moment that much more preciuos when it's been a wild ride getting there...
Alexa

Postby Uuzz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:49 pm

"don't panic... yet..." loved that part.
thanks for all the info.
*crosses fingers*
come on.. it's a month...
*keeps fingers crossed*
Uuzz

Postby antoa315 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:45 pm

This is only affecting people flying on British Airways, right? So since I am flying American Airlines and bmi for the hop to Dublin I don't need to panic, right?

I've lost a bag once. It contained about 95% of my CD collection (about 200+ discs) which wasn't covered by the airlines. So I am a bit sketchy about checking stuff. I am afraid my carry-on isn't going to be big enough *sigh*
antoa315

Postby Alexa » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:04 pm

And the carry-on can't be used for personal items like perfumes and lotions and stuff since the whole "no liquids rule" and I'm lucky enough to be able to only use certain products for my personal care.... and I SO don't want to have to go hunting for them when I get to AT3..... :?

Like everyone said... it's a month away.... fingers crossed. And Antoa, you shouldn't have any issues as long as your plane doesn't land at T5. Since you said you don't fly BA, you should be ok since I understand T5 was designed for BA flights..... LOL! From the looks of it I'm thinking someone wanted to sabotaje BA.... :roll:
Alexa

Postby iloveamanda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm flying down from Aberdeen to T5 and I'm kinda nervous about it not being sorted in time.

Thanks Becky for the tips, I'll definitely put that info on my bag

*keeps fingers tightly crossed* :)

Julia x
iloveamanda

Postby iloveamanda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:56 pm

Sorry for the double post but I found this on BAs website

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=3192

Julia x
iloveamanda

Postby Babelfish » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Folks, no reason to worry (overmuch)! I flew to and from Heathrow's Terminal 5 last week and all in all it was one of the fastest and most efficient trips I've ever had with British Airways.
There were a few minor hiccups but honestly, aren't there always when you fly?

Your only concern might be that BA still haven't sorted out their problems with the baggage handling. Therefore please make sure that you pack all your essentials into your hand luggage (but don't forget to the 'no liquids' rule) - on my flights the BA crew were very lenient in terms of what they allowed the passengers to take onto the plane themselves - I was almost worried that the overhead compartments would come crashing down on us... :)
Babelfish

Postby Pegasus Angel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:07 pm

Babelfish wrote:There were a few minor hiccups but honestly, aren't there always when you fly?

Always!

At this time of year in Gibraltar, the planes frequently get redirected to Malaga in Spain because of cross winds so the planes can't land safely. This adds another 4 hours to your journey :(

*crosses fingers*
Founder of the Facebook group:
SANCTUARY - Friends For All
Pegasus Angel

Postby bubbles » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:41 pm

I was speaking to a friend today who is working at Terminal 5 and asked her about the situation now.

She said things are getting a lot better, there are still some baggage issues, but things are slowly getting back to normal. There are staff shortages which also isn't helping. Heads have rolled........well apparently two high up people who were responsible for the travesty have decided to walk before pushed! :whip:

So in another fortnight, hopefully as Feli has said there will only be minor hiccups!

Looking forward to seeing you all, some for the first time some for the third! Come and say hello! :duel:

Tracy
Steward co-ordinator
Tracy North
bubbles
GABIT Staff

Postby Alexa » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Has your friend happen to know if the left over issues occur more often on outgoing flights than on incoming? i'm still thinking that unloading and dumping for pick-up can't be all that difficult.....

I have no stress about coming home, I'll get the luggage eventually, I'm stressed about coming to London....

Thanks for the info!!!
Alexa

Postby bubbles » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:28 am

Alexa wrote:Has your friend happen to know if the left over issues occur more often on outgoing flights than on incoming? i'm still thinking that unloading and dumping for pick-up can't be all that difficult.....

I have no stress about coming home, I'll get the luggage eventually, I'm stressed about coming to London....

Thanks for the info!!!

I won't be seeing her again until next week, so I 'll try and remember to ask her

Tx
Tracy North
bubbles
GABIT Staff

Postby SGater84 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:48 pm

I think i feel that panic atm :lol: coz i never flight a plane before :(

omg...my flight goes tomorrow, only 19 hours!!! :shock:
*say to himself dont panic*
SGater84

Postby Mousie » Thu May 01, 2008 7:25 am

You'll be fine, good luck
Mousie

Postby Alexa » Thu May 01, 2008 10:20 am

I'm at the airport now, I checked in and I asked the BA attendand about the T5 issue and she said it's all solver and taken care of.... Of course she is on their payroll so i doubtshe'd have said.... girl, I pitty you, but still, she was very firm about it. All is ok now.
Alexa

Postby SGater84 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:38 am

Yeah, i did it!! 8) thanks Mousie ;)
SGater84

Postby Mousie » Wed May 07, 2008 9:52 am

Glad it was OK.
Mousie

Return to AT3 - Chat