Help! May not be able to come...

Moderators: Moderators, Admin

Postby Sutekh » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Really hope Lizzie still doing well. Just remember a cat will do anything to proove someone wrong - especially vets.
Reality is for people who can't handle Science Fiction!
Sutekh

Postby Rowan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:10 pm

Rather delayed reply, but yes, she's doing well. Doesn't do much besides sleep, eat and demand cuddles but she's happy and pretty healthy! Anyway, time to do pills... she's on 5 a day now, but still taking them well so it's not too much of a problem.
Rowan

Postby Sutekh » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:00 pm

Really good to know.
Reality is for people who can't handle Science Fiction!
Sutekh

Postby Rowan » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:23 pm

Sorry to add a sad post, but I wanted to tell you all that one of my cats has passed. Lizzie is still doing well: it's my other cat who has gone. Bea was 17 years old, and has had a hyperactive thyroid for a couple of years now. About seven weeks ago I took her to the vet as she was acting more hyper and loosing weight. The vet agreed with me that her dose of thyroid pills needed to be increased, but also suspected she had kidney disease. Three weeks later I took her back as she'd continued to loose weight and a blood test confirmed chronic kidney failure. I was given pills and told to come back in six weeks for a check up.

Over the next few weeks she went to cattery while I did my marathon, and developed a cold afterwards. And lost more weight...

It was only a couple of weeks ago I realised how serious it was. Lizzie has crf too and is currently living happily with it. I though it would be the same for Bea. Last weekend I was researching. I found things that could be done, but by now it was too late for Bea. The only option were treatments that required hospitalisation. Even if I could find a vet willing (my vet doesn't do them), and could have found the money, Bea was too weak. I felt the risk of her dying away from me in hospital was too great. I don't know if more could have been done if I'd done that research earlier. I now know that the progress of the disease varies a lot, and Bea may have been one of the unlucky ones whatever was done. But I'm hoping I'll be able to do more for Lizzie now I have the knowledge.

Towards the end Bea had good days and bad days, even good hours and bad hours. Her last night and morning were good. I wondered if I should keep her a little longer... but I knew she would worsen again, and by then she was having difficulty walking. I wanted her to go before she really suffered. Her last hours were full of positives, and her last minutes were calm and relaxed. She died very peacefully in my arms. I've found a wonderful place to have her cremated.

I'm writing an explicit account of her euthansia and after for a couple of lists. Would people like me to post it here? I thought it might be helpfull for anyone who has to face this themselves.

Rowan
Rowan

Previous

Return to Avalon 2006 - Chat